I attempted this colorful take home treat for my daughters 10th birthday party, needless to say it was a hit with the kids and the adults. I do wish I had started a bit earlier, so my tip is to start the day before and really let each layer set before moving on to the next color. This is so much fun for so many party themes, you can also do a clear jello and add fruit or stars, or get creative and do jello jars in different shapes sizes and color combos. They are guaranteed to please. My favorite place to pick up affordable jars is at Walmart, they have non branded clear jars that are super affordable
~ How to Make Rainbow Jello w/ Milk Jello Layers~
You’ll need one large tub of Cool Whip & two small boxes of Jello for each color you want. For rainbow jello: red, orange, yellow, green, blue, & purple.
1) Prepare one box of purple jello as directed; using the “quick chill” method (meaning add some ice).
2) Pour jello into mason jars splitting evenly between 8 jars, being careful not to let it touch sides of glass
3) Put jars (or dish) in the refrigerator and chill for 15-30 minutes, or until set.
4) When setting, prepare second box of the same color (in this case purple jello) as directed, using the “quick chill” method. This time replace the cold water with cold whole milk instead (this should give you a lightly tinted purple jello mix).
5) Remove jars from refrigerator and add the lighter mixed jello on top. Chill again for 15-30 minutes, or until it’s set.
6) Repeat this process with the next color – you will want to start this project a day ahead of time.
– While repeating process for each color be careful not to pour abruptly , try to keep the liquid jello from touching the side of the jars.